HOW TO BLOG AGAIN
Hey ding dongs. Sorry I suck. Sorry all blog posts begin here with saying sorry. I am Canadian I will have you know. It’s in our nature to be apologetic for no reason. We were born guilty. If we hold a door open FOR you we will even apologize at the very same moment you walk through it idk why we just do c’est la vie. I have a pile of blog posts in queue plus a to do list (as does everyone else on the planet) but I was just on the pisser lamenting how behind I feel I am so here I am now saying hi.
I am all about the non-blog post and I feel you are too. I had a passion for this shit back in the day and feel like an expert if you will. I can remember people being like, they have no time to blog or have any energy and NOW I know what they meeeeean. I was younger when I was killing it in the blog game so to speak and now I am older and older people have less energy as they go through life. I would love that pill Bradley Cooper takes in Limitless for example and become a writing speed machine again.
Okay so here is how you blog again:
1. When the moment strikes to blog, take it. Just start typing type type type like I’m doing right now.
2. When a fellow past bloggy friend emails you for an interview that showcases your opinions and skills, whatever, DO IT. I have a request such as this and am going to make time for it for once. Any opportunity to write about yourself in any vein, do it. It’s going to help open up my mind to my own process again and I am very grateful that Keira reached out.
3. Keep it simple. THIS I struggle with. I have shit all over the place and I do too much, photograph so much and it all overwhelms me. I just “can’t even” anymore. So I will work on keeping it simple.
4. Turn off email. Close social media. Turn your phone upside down and have it on silent. Clear all your “must take care of’s” bullshittery beforehand so you can focus and not feel like they’re after you.
5. Do all of your rituals. Your OCD quirks like rolling a doobie, have your coffee cup filled, water, take a pee and do some light stretching because if you just give’r and jump in there and are in the middle of a groove and halfway through a hunger pang strikes while you are blogging about RECYCLING AS A METAPHOR or whatever…don’t lose that train of thought. So have snacks nearby or eat beforehand.
6. okay fine go to the bathroom because it’s hard to write when you gotta go. Also don’t forget your SEO (google it – the new frontier).
7. Just do it. Do it rather than don’t do it and it will come back to you again. My voice has changed so much so over the years that I am tripping up over the dumbest shit like, how I speak, which is exactly how I think without a filter which is with strong, bold, confidence and standing by every single thought that comes out of my head live. Maybe some pre-prep once I get back into the swing of things will perfect this newfound blog skill upgrade of mine too, can’t hurt.
8. Make it up as you go. If you overthink it then you will never do it. It’s like cooking, you don’t know how to cook UNTIL YOU COOK. So cook. Fear is what holds us back. Fear of failure. So if we don’t try then we won’t fail. FUCK THAT. Just fail bro. It’s the first step toward success.
9. Have a point, illustrate the point. If you feel like blogging a facebook flamewar that came about from an email you received – keep it at that. I need to take my own advice here because I am queen of being all over the place and super-post mash-ups because I just have too much after days of not blogging, you see. It’s OKAY to hold off on the dedicated (to one theme) posts and keep them waiting on those, while you let the Faceboook flamewar post you posted marinate. Let it simmah babes, trust me you will be glad you simplified it later on down the road. For example, when I have to do a report for a client and mine through a long page of posts on my ello for say, the roof repair job we did, it makes me want to just lay down and die basically because I am disorganized af and so thrilled with my content accruing I sprinkle it everywhere. As long as I remember my sprinkles I am fine. Be on top of shit as much as you can and lastly…drum roll please….
10. GO WHERE THE MONEY IS
It’s 2016. We have been blogging for a long time now by this point if you’re not making any money from it, stop it or change it and if you have a “real job” as well as your blog job, put the blog job on pause to pay your bills a little bit. Your blog will always be there for you. Maintain your audience engagement so that the fires are always a little bit burning while you get tha paper IRL so that when you come back with your posts your fanbase won’t feel like jilted lovers cos they missed you and by God, treat yourself and show them what you bought cos lord knows we love to live vicariously and maybe get off a lil bit on the jealousies.
XOXO YOURS FOREVER RAYMBO