Happy Birthday Jackie baby
Happy Birthday, Jack Kerouac. Born 12 March 1922, died 21 October 1969.
One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
Kerouac’s Rules for Writing
Fellow writers were always asking Kerouac how he did what he did so he set down 30 essentials in something he called Belief and Technique for Modern Prose – here are my interpretive notes on them.
1. Scribbled secret notebooks, and wild typewritten pages, for yr own joy
Agree. Have tons of these. So much nonsense on this computer, good stuff, meaty and zero recollection of anything other than it’s the shit I should be blogging but am too afraid to so put it in a book instead, let it marinate a little bit until I am tougher.
2. Submissive to everything, open, listening
Yes. There could be a story at every, any corner. You are a spy of the world.
3.Try never get drunk outside yr own house
4. Be in love with yr life
Make it as fun as possible.
5. Something that you feel will find its own form
Don’t try so hard to push a voice or persona, don’t be false, be real. The flow will come naturally. Let it.
6. Be crazy dumbsaint of the mind
GO CRAYMI. Often. Opinions and observations, hopeful and true and above all else, honest. I don’t know what the fuck do you think this means?
7. Blow as deep as you want to blow
Just do whatever the fuck you want man be a lit candle because the rest of the world can’t or don’t feel comfortable doing what they really want to do but if you don’t then don’t. HAhaha uh?
8. Write what you want bottomless from bottom of the mind
Like I already said.
9. The unspeakable visions of the individual
Can y’all grandiose-size that?
10. No time for poetry but exactly what is
11. Visionary tics shivering in the chest
Yes we know you manic compulsively have to get that shit out, the thoughts.
12. In tranced fixation dreaming upon object before you
Kind of buddhist monk-like, isolated, writers are very monastery but back then no internet so I bet he’d be like surfing multiple pages instead of staring at an apple, prob a bit of both.
13. Remove literary, grammatical and syntactical inhibition
BOOYAKASHA! It’s the message not the envelope.
14. Like Proust be an old teahead of time
Now you are speaking my language, hold the Proust. Teahead means pothead btw.
15. Telling the true story of the world in interior monolog
Hell yeah this is your Tyler Durden wet dream kind of thing, funny hilarious musings, running dialogue and commentary of every single thing going down at a supermarket. Essay-length accounts of walking eight yards to get a coffee there is what we think and what we say and what we can’t say, we write. Just remove identity if it’s secretive, manipulate time and space.
16. The jewel center of interest is the eye within the eye
I dunno get to the point or the core of the drama, the root, the real deal business, no pussy footing around.
17. Write in recollection and amazement for yourself
Love your shit. Own thy shit. Be amazeballs about your amazeballs. Fuck the haters. The hater does not exist. You are awesome. Don’t go full-Kanye though. No divas.
18. Work from pithy middle eye out, swimming in language sea
Is he referencing Nirvana here?
19. Accept loss forever
This one is tough.
20. Believe in the holy contour of life
You only got one.
21. Struggle to sketch the flow that already exists intact in mind
Bend the rules. Make your sentences melodic. Don’t write like a robot. Go with the mania.
22. Don’t think of words when you stop but to see picture better
Be descriptive but not of necessity show the vase don’t tell it, talk like yoda like how I am right now. Learn karate?
23. Keep track of every day the date emblazoned in yr morning
Blog. Daily posts are entries of your life. Rise early and reflect.
24. No fear or shame in the dignity of yr experience, language & knowledge
Respect that what you do don’t keep skeletons or secrets just out with it.
25. Write for the world to read and see yr exact pictures of it
26. Bookmovie is the movie in words, the visual American form
Like On the Road, the book is like a movie so they adapted it which allegedly was killed by K. Stew but whatever a good writer is like reading a movie.
27. In praise of Character in the Bleak inhuman Loneliness
Pain is good for writing. My writing has bettered ten-fold because I am the most miserable I have ever been in my life at this period in time. I am humble and real about it and soul searching, working on myself, whatever, basically loneliness is a painful thing that people endure. It makes you stronger, creative. It has many benefits, builds character because there is less noise, other people’s garbage in your way.
28. Composing wild, undisciplined, pure, coming in from under, crazier the better
Yeah but make it rule and don’t just invent crazy, tame it a little.
29. You’re a Genius all the time
30. Writer-Director of Earthly movies Sponsored & Angeled in Heaven
RIP buddy. I think you mean make it God-approved? Don’t kill or hurt people, have a conscience. Gotta go get ready to not try number 3 now why is that one in bold ooooh mystical. Alrighty then. RLW out.